Happy Makeup Monday! One of my favorite days of the blog and now this post contains my favorite title! If you didn’t know Lumos Maxima is a spell from my favorite series of books, Harry Potter. The spell is used to create light…which is kind of what I am going to be writing about today! Ok, now that my inner geek has come out, let’s proceed to a “cooler” subject…a light catching makeup product called illuminator!
Illuminator is one of those products I always wanted to try but never really took the time to do it. That is until I saw that NYX carried it for $7.50 and I thought, “hey why not. I’ll try it and see what happens”. Well now, I’m totally sold!
I am going to give you my top 10 reasons you should wear an illuminator.
1) If you want glowing and younger looking skin, it’s for you!
2) If you wear make up or don’t wear any makeup, it’s for you!
3) Think of it like a highlighter. You use a highlighter to emphasize a sentence or word in a paragraph right? Well illuminator does the same thing for your face! It emphasizes eyes, brows, cheek bones, and so much more!
4) It comes in cream or powder. Both are easy to apply but are good for different complexions. Use the cream if you have dryer to more combination type skin, and powder if you have oily skin.
5) Illuminator comes in a pinky shade for those who have a fairer complexion as well as a gold tone for those who have olive or darker skin.
6) It can be found as cheap or as expensive as you want/need. Try a cheaper brand like NYX that will still get the job done. Then decide if you like it and go from there. I now have this one from Benefit and love it too! If you don’t like Benefit or NYX products; NARS, Clinque, Stila, Smashbox, Revlon, and so many more lines sell illuminators as well.
7) An illuminator is used to catch the sun, or any light for that matter, to create the illusion of a contoured face. It can be worn alone or partnered with a bronzer to get you the full contoured look…a.k.a. a femininely chiseled face. Kim Kardashian is famous for contouring her face. (don’t freak out if you follow this link…you don’t have to be this intense to use an illuminator)
8) You can use it on your cheek bones to create the illusion of high cheek bones or emphasize the high cheek bones you already have; as well as using it on the middle of your nose to make your nose look slim and straight.
9) You can put it above and below your lips to give you fuller looking lips. Pair it with a pale lip color and BAMB baby you got it a nice, full, juicy looking lip!!
10) And lastly, you don’t need a lot of product to give your skin the pop it deserves!
Here is an awesome diagram of how to apply illuminator and what it does for your different areas.
If you are a little hesitant to dive in 100%, start small. Find a cheap illuminator and dab a little on your cheek bones. Start by wearing it only for special occasions and see how you like it. You can always start small and add in the future!
Comment with any other tips you have! And don’t forget to follow couragedearheartlife on Instagram to see me wearing my favorite Illuminator!